Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Come near me, while I sing the ancient ways

My name is Boyd Walker. Up until very recently, I was a hitman. I did not kill cheating spouses or rival cheerleaders - those are the hitmen who get caught, who wind up in jail, their names fodder for jokes. The jobs I took were mainly for the local mob, hitting rival drug dealers. I'm not ashamed of what I did. I never killed women or children.

Two weeks ago, I was hired for a new job. It was a little more complex than the normal 'kill rival dealers' job: there was a rat that had to die. Frank Meyer, also known as Little Frankie, had recently been picked up by the FBI and flipped. He had agreed to provide testimony against one of my employers. So my job was to find him and kill him.

In the old days, this would normally mean staking out his normal haunts for a few days or weeks. Seeing if he called any of his old friends or family. But that was the old days. In these days, everyone has a cellphone. Everyone has a tracking device, it only needs to be turned on.

I have a hacker buddy who is good at doing that. All I had to do was provide him with Little Frankie's cellphone number and he would do all the rest. Something about triangulating the signal from cell towers. I just had to hope Frankie hadn't ditched the phone.

He hadn't. I had an address and a few hours later, I was on my way. The Feds had put him up in a cheap motel somewhere in a distant part of the city. My orders were just to kill Frankie, but there would be people watching him, probably at all times. I needed more of a plan than bullets.

My plan was pretty simple, actually. I would pull the fire alarm, wait until everyone comes out, and shoot him from behind. The best part is that the motel looked crowded, so there would be plenty of people in a crowd for me to hide in.

First, I checked the floor Frankie was on. Then, carrying a newspaper and wearing a baseball cap, I walked past his room, just to see what security was like.

That was when the weird stuff started happening. Security? Nonexistent. Hell, the door to Frankie's room was open. I couldn't resist taking a peak inside.

There was a woman in Frankie's room. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Just recalling the memories is making my eyes hurt. She was inside Frankie's room and she was looking Frankie right in the eyes. Neither of them were speaking.

I tore my eyes away from her and looked around the room. The Feds assigned to watch Frankie looked like they were sleeping. They lay crumpled on the ground, but I didn't see any blood.

Finally, the woman spoke to Frankie: "She is ready." Her voice was sharp and melodious. "She is ready to reveal herself. She waits to reveal herself. So many others have revealed themselves too quickly. She waits to reveal herself. She is ready."

Frankie looked sick. He was sweating and his skin looked real pale, but he didn't stop staring in the woman's eyes. "She is the Lady of the Shining Scales and she is ready, Franklin Harrison Meyer. Open your mouth and speak."

Frankie opened his mouth, but didn't say a word. It looked like he was choking. There was...there was a bulge in his neck. A large bulge. It moved upward and a snake slithered out of his mouth. The woman leaned forward and opened her mouth and the snake slithered out of Frankie's mouth and into her's.

I recoiled. This...this was some fucked up shit, if you'll pardon my language. This was unlike anything I'd seen before. I didn't know what to do, so I just hightailed it out of there.

This was just the beginning. My real troubles didn't start 'till the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Out of curiosity.. would it be too much to ask, to ask you to tell what happened the next day?

    I'm dreadfully curious what trumped this.

    ReplyDelete